July 18, 2008

Pantry Raider: Tuna

I am…a pantry raider. Sometimes. Ok, a lot of the time. I get lazy when it comes to cooking for myself, but I still want hot meals. I try not to turn to lean pockets or frozen pizza, but I give in. After searching the fridge and cabinets, I find a couple short round cans. Tuna packed in water. One of the college staples. Tuna, ramen noodles, and a can of spaghetti sauce seem to be the common trend among cupboards these days. I take my can and stare at it. Wondering what I should make. Tuna noodle casserole? Bleck. Tuna cooked with onion and garlic and mixed with pasta? Ehh no. Tuna cake? Hmmm.

Tuna cake it is. The tuna cakes I usually make are super simple. I rarely have fresh vegetables sitting around to mix into the cakes, so it’s the typical condiment and cupboard items. My recipe….

Tuna Cakes

1 can tuna packed with water

1 tsp yellow mustard or 1 tbs. of whatever dressing you like

1 egg white

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Drain the water from the can and spoon it into a bowl.

2. Add mustard or dressing, egg white, and salt & pepper. Mix until combined.

3. Add breadcrumbs. You may need to add more if the mixture does not pack well.

4. Form into patties trying to make both sides as even as possible.

5. Cook in a pan with light oil until browned on both sides. About 3-4 minutes per side.

I usually eat my tuna cakes on a bed of mixed greens or in a wrap. I haven’t tried to use them in any other dishes yet. They probably won’t be too bad with rice. Hmm. Maybe next time.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin