While they were cooling down, I made a Cherry Buttercream for the filling. Just the basic buttercream recipe of butter and sugar. I added some of the cherry flavoring and red food coloring. I sandwiched them together and enjoyed.
Supposedly makes 40-54 cookies. I got about 20.
1 ¼ Cups Confectioners' Sugar
1 ¼ Cups Almond Flour
3 large Egg Whites
1/8 tsp Salt
¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Cherry Flavoring
2-4 drops Red food coloring
Basic Buttercream recipe with cherry flavoring added
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
1. Sift confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl. Blend in almond flour.
2. In a large bowl, mix egg whites at high speed until foamy, add salt. Slowly add sugar, blend until soft peaks form.
3. Add vanilla extract and food coloring; take care not to over mix.
4. Gently fold the almond flour mixture into egg whites to incorporate, take care not to over mix.
5. Gently fill a pastry bag (no tip required) with mixture and pipe into 1 - 1 1/2 inch rounds onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake until bottoms of cookies are just set and tops are firm, approx. 20 mins.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool on parchment sheets.
8. When completely cool, spread a decent amount of cherry buttercream filling on the flat bottom of a cookie. Sandwich with a second cookie and repeat with remaining cookies.